sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj Today I Didn't Answer their Questions

Today I Didn't Answer their Questions

Hey Mrs. Ripp, where is Panama? Hey Mrs. Ripp, what does sum mean again? Hey Mrs. Ripp, I don't get it. Substitute your name for mine and and I am sure this is what many of our classrooms sound like on anay normal day. Except today I didn't provide the answers, today I didn't answer with what they wanted to hear. Instead I asked, "How will you find the answer? How will you figure that out?"

Not answering a child is not something I was taught in college, in fact, quite the opposite. I was taught the curriculum, taught to memorize it so I could give it back to the students whenever it was needed. Not anymore, not all the time. Now my students are being taught where to find the answer, where to turn to to figure it all out. Nothing revolutionary, nothing I invented, instead something I learned from watching other great teachers do it.

So today, what happened to those students that didn't know the answer? Panama was found through studying our classroom map, sum was looked up in a math reference book, and an explanation was found through a classmate. Will this approach always work? Who knows. Today it did.

Have you tried not answering? Is it something we have to teach or can we throw students into it without help?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...