sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj The One Piece of Advice I Wish I had Gotten

The One Piece of Advice I Wish I had Gotten

If I could change one thing it would be to believe in myself.  To trust in my gut when I looked at lesson plans meant for others and know that they needed to be tweaked, to be changed, perhaps even to be omitted so that I could teach.  To trust the sense I got that I was displaced, putting on someone else's clothes and pretending to be grandma.

If I could change one thing I would have listened to that voice within me repeating this isn't you, this isn't how you feel, this isn't what you believe whenever homework, grades, rewards and punishment were discussed and decided.  To stand up, even if done quietly, and to believe in respect, community, and conversation rather than stickers, sticks, and names on the board.

If I could change one thing I would have trusted myself.  Trusted the instinct we are all bestowed with.  Trusted that nagging doubt in my mind asking over and over, "Would you like to be a student in your own classroom?"No, no, no...

And then it happened, I changed.  I listened to myself, really listened, and out came all of those doubts, nagging words, fears, apprehensions and then finally relief.  This was my path, not someone else's.  This was my contribution, to believe in myself, to believe in my students, to give them a voice, to treat them fairly and with respect.  To follow my common sense that had been screaming all along; listen to your instinct, believe in yourself, and trust your own voice.

I wish I had listened long ago but all that matters is that I finally listened.  It is never too late to change how we teach.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...