sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj Does Absence Make the Student Grow Dumber? Or Is That Only For Certain Students?

Does Absence Make the Student Grow Dumber? Or Is That Only For Certain Students?

As I wrap up the year I have been tallying absences for my students with some notable surprises.  Wow, that kid was absent that much, I would have never known... Or, wow, that kid hardly missed and yet they didn't grow as much as I would have thought. This end of year project reminds me of a student I had once that missed more than 20% of the year and yet still succeeded academically.  How was this even possible?  He was a fast thinker, had parent support, and probably didn't miss out on that much, which yes, is a total indictment of how I used to teach.

So fast forward to this year and conversations we have about the importance of students being here or else...I can't help but wonder if this applies to all students, I mean, let's face it, there are students that cruise through school no matter how many challenges we throw their way.  And on the flip side there are also students who hit every bump in the road even when they are here.  So is being present in school enough to spell success?  Or is it just one more factor that can lead down a certain path?  I think I know the answer here, that it is just one factor that can lead to success, but then what is behind our thinking and our obsession with students coming to school?  Why do we get so stuck on attendance with some students but not with others? 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...