sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj Must We Grin and Bear It?

Must We Grin and Bear It?

Yesterday I shared a blog post regarding my journey from a complicated discipline system to throwing it all out and insetad running a classroom based on respect and communication.  A comment poster by an educator whom I admire, Jeremy MacDonald (@MrMacnology) immediately sparked my interest ( take a moment to read the whole comment). 

He writes,"My daughter has "cards" in her Kinder class. She is absolutely terrified of "pulling a card." I've been to her class to visit her and she is a robot. She's not my little girl....I know her teacher. How do you approach another teacher, who is in direct contact with your child each day, and tell her that her management is depriving my daughter of enjoying kindergarten; enjoying school?"

What an incredible discussion to start!  Do we, as educators and parents, that perhaps are on a different teaching journey than some teachers, have a way of discussing this with our child's teacher?  Is there a gentle way that one can help "enlighten" others or must we grin and bear whatever happens in their classroom?

I know that my teaching methods have changed greatly because of interactions with other teachers, however, these have not been parents of mine, but rather colleagues.  How would I feel if a parent came to me and told me how to teach or how I should change something?  I know there has to be a way to initiate this type of conversation, but how?

So let us open up the discussion!  Do you approach the teacher, do you anonymously send them education books, or do you just let it be hoping for a different approach the following year?  Can you start the dialogue or is it not worth it?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...